Cancel search

Re: scratch marks on heavy solid prints - HP 310

HP Latex 310 Printer

#1 pideas1 8 years ago

I am running a poster on the HP Matte Adhesive Polypropylene stock. I downloaded the profile from the HP media website. This media is listed as a compatible stock to run on Latex machines. When print on this stock, i can see fingerprints and the paper stock is easily scratched. See attached photos of examples.

I have already tried increasing the heat from 176 degrees F to 210 degrees F. This has not resolved the issue. Any suggestions on how to run this HP stock on my HP Latex 310 printer?

Attachments
   scratch1.jpg
   scratch2.jpg
#2 HP-MarcM 8 years ago

Hi Pideas1,

it look very strange to me. If the media is intended to be printed with HP Latex and you are using the profile from the HP Media Solutions Locator you should not have any issue. Can you please answer me the following questions:

• Regarding the finger prints. Maybe that the media surface could have been contaminated not by your finger prints but by an external/internal agent that once mixed with the ink is affecting the scratching resistance. Would be recommended to confirm cleaning the media first with isoprophyl alcohol.
  • Are you using a brand new roll? Or are you reusing a media roll?
  • What are you using to scratch the surface? The behavior is not normal but even so the ink is not completely removed

Was this helpful?Yes0 No0
How can we improve it?
#3 pideas1 8 years ago

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your response. Regarding your questions:

1) The media was brand new out of the box. There was no contamination. I've seen this also happen on another stock as well (Fibermark Imagease 212 matte coated stock).

2) This was a brand new roll. Right out of an HP box.

3) The ink is not removed. I just used my fingers to touch the solid printed area and scratched it with my fingernails. It's very noticeable. I downloaded the Profile directly from the HP website through the HP latex printer.

I tried adjusting the heat (increased temp by 30 degrees F) and also increased the Optimizer, but neither worked to resolve the issue. This issue doesn't happen on all stocks, just certain stocks. However, I'd like to know how to get this resovled as it now affects two of my rolls of media.

Thanks.

How can we improve it?
#4 chieftain 8 years ago

If you haven't done so already, try a higher number of passes. A higher number of passes is sometimes required to property lay the ink down. Each profile has a different % for the optimizer as well. This can affect how a print will cure, if at all. The optimizer is sort of like "glue" and ink is then laid on top of that, which is why when a print is finished it adheres so well to the media. This is partly why you cannot scratch the ink off without damaging the underlying media. Try it.

How can we improve it?
#5 pideas1 8 years ago

Thanks Cheiftain for the input.

The scratch and fingerprint marks were on a test print. The marks appears on all prints using this paper stock. These marks occurred when I was printing with 6 passes or with 12 passes.

How can we improve it?
#6 dypinc 8 years ago

I believe HP Matte Adhesive Polypropylene stock is also compatible with aqueous printers. If that is the case printing with latex is really going to be no more durable than printing with a aqueous printer. It is the coating that is applied for aqueous that is the problem. If you want more durablity you will need to over-laminate it.

How can we improve it?
#7 pideas1 8 years ago

That makes sense. However, this media is marketed as a HP latex compatible paper stock and also there's a profile for this media on the HP media solutions site. I figure that I would not have to laminate the print after printing to avoid scratch marks or fingerprints.

How can we improve it?
#8 dypinc 8 years ago

There is a lot of aqueous media out there that is marketed as HP Latex compatible, but it is still coated for aqueous media and needs to be over-laminated for any durability.

Phototex aqueous is one example that is listed as HP Latex compatable but it is not nearly as durablity as the solvent version of Phototex which prints fine with latex.

How can we improve it?
#9 HP-MarcM 8 years ago

Hi to all,

I've discussed your problem with some HP Media experts and they arrived to the same conclusion as dypinc.

Since you told us that the ink is not removed, that makes us think that you are experiencing a marring effect: you have this effect when you scratch something and it almost glosses over but keeps the color, it scratches the matte surface away.

This would not be a defect of the product, but just the nature of a WR COATED product.

In order to correct this issue and get higher durability and resistance, I recommend you to over-laminate the media. I've also asked for an alternative product. I'll come back to you with the answer as soon as I get it.

How can we improve it?
#10 HP-MarcM 8 years ago

Hi pideas1,

Sorry for double posting, but the media expert has recommended me the following media:

Sihl 3531 SyntiSOL PP film KissCut 325 satin

He told me that his advise is to laminate the media in order to get a better scratchability, but you should not experiment a marring effect.

Here you can find the profile of the HP Media Solutions Locator.

Hope this helps.

How can we improve it?
#11 pideas1 8 years ago

Hi Marc,

I find it odd that I have to laminate prints off the HP Latex printer even though it's an HP media, the profile is availabe on the HP Media Solutions locator and the media is latex compatible. When I purchase my media for my HP Latex, how do I know which media is susceptible to scratches and fingerprints? I do not want to have to apply an overlaminate to every print if possible.

How can we improve it?
#12 HP-MarcM 8 years ago

Hi pideas1,

The marring effect you've been experimenting is due to the nature of the media due to it's WR coating that is on this product to improve the image quality. Although you download the profile form the HP Media Solutions Locator the performance of the media strongly depends on which applications are you going to use it for. In this case, the WR coating needs of a over-lamination in order to provide the durability you seek. Keep in mind that although many products can be ran with no lamination, lamination is always recommended as it adds longevity and protection to the wear and tear of everyday situations.

If you let me know what is the application that you are using the HP Matte Adhesive Polypropylene for i can provide you some advise on which media you could use (taking into account that you don't want to laminate).

How can we improve it?
#13 chieftain 8 years ago

Personally, I have not had too many issues with the latex ink no adhering to the media. I get the occasional ink not fully drying and the problem is usually a user-end one, mainly profile. As for medias, even generic vinyls and banners, coated or uncoated, are not inherently problematic. I simply use an HP profile, and sometimes it takes going through several tries before it comes out perfect. On the occasional snag, I try a different number of passes, from 8 to 10 or even 12. If that doesn't work, I adjust the latex percentage or heat. If that still doesn't work, I try a different profile altogether. You may go through some media, but if the end goal is the best performance, I'd invest in the brand name for optimal results for any applications.

How can we improve it?
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP.

Remember
To make recommendations or participate please Sign In and post a message.

Latest conversations HP Latex

HP Latex Blog

How likely are you to recommend HP Large Format Knowledge Center to a colleague?
  • Not at all likely
  • Extremely likely
Thanks for your collaboration
To provide additional details, click here.